To be a registered educational psychologist | Postgraduate Studies | Career Doctor | ClassifiedPost Hong Kong
Home > Career Doctor > Postgraduate Studies > To be a registered educational psychologist
Career Doctor
To be a registered educational psychologist
posted on Saturday, 19 November 2011 12:13

Dear sir,

I graduated from a medical school in mainland China from 2001 to 2007. 

After that, I came to HK and worked as an anaesthetic assistant in hospital under Hospital Authority for 3.5 years. During this period, I studied Psychology (Bachelor Degree) in the Upper Iowa University (HK Campus) and graduated with GPA 3.4286 (cum Laude) this year. Now, I'm 27. I'm planning to have further study in the field of educational psychology. If I want to become a registered educational psychologist, would you recommend relevant master courses in either local or oversea universities to me, please?

Thanks a lot!

Yours faithfully,
Clivia Lee

Leave a comment
1 Comment
Rebecca Cheung - Career Doctor's picture
Rebecca Cheung - Career Doctor  
Posted Friday, 24 February 2012 03:05 PM

Dear Clivia,

You have done well in undergraduate study as reflected in your good GPA score. Going forward with a focus in educational psychology, I would suggest that you visit the Hong Kong Psychological Society’s website at Under the Division of Educational Psychology and its related links to psychological societies in other countries, you will find a wealth of information about universities, entry requirements and trainings required to be qualified as a registered psychologist. You may also get in touch with people from the Division of Educational Psychology, who will be able to provide advice and suggestions.

Closer to home, universities such as the Chinese University, Polytechnic U and HKU offer full or part-time Master’s programmes in Educational Psychology.

In general, universities require applicants to have a good honour’s degree in psychology. Some also expect you to have relevant work experience, to provide references from people who are in a position to recommend you and to write about your aspirations for the study.

So, find out first if your GPA score is strong enough to compete with others for the subject graduate programme. Typically, work experience in teaching, social work or education is very helpful for your application. If you do not have this kind of experience, you may need to start planning now. A track record of volunteer work with children and their families may also be considered as evidence of experience. Besides, you may get to know people who could eventually act as referees to support your application.

The decision to pursue a career in the field of educational psychology is a thoughtful and rewarding one, as you would be working with students, parents and teachers, providing assessment and counselling services to develop supportive environments to cater for the individual difference of students and their well-being. I hope the information here is practical and will set you off to a good start.


Leave your comment
* Mandatory Fields
* Name
* Email address
The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly. If you have a Gravatar account, used to display your avatar.
* Comment
Leave a comment