I'm losing hope in finding a job in Hong Kong | Job Hunting | Career Doctor | ClassifiedPost Hong Kong
Home > Career Doctor > Job Hunting > I'm losing hope in finding a job in Hong Kong
I'm losing hope in finding a job in Hong Kong
RJ
posted on Monday, 03 May 2010 16:06

I completed my masters in corporate and finance law from HKU last year, from that day I have been trying to find a decent job. I did my bachelors in law from India, have 3 experience in customers and sales. Yea I know its quite strange for law graduate to have experience in sales and customer service. Well I was out of focus wanted to make more money those days.

But at a point i decided that I shouldn't be doing that and I came applied in HKU and did my masters and here the story starts...no law firms offer me job saying I have no experience or some reject coz I dont speak mandarin or cantonese. For internship its full till 2012 and they only need students not graduates. I studied banking law, company law, finance related regulations, market etc so I tried banks, financial institutions but noone wants a fresher, I seriously wonder,are people born with experience?. I speak native english with london accent as I studied in International schools all my life. My Working Visa expires in 3 months and I'm very upset with the kind of treatment and rejection. The only people who offer me job are insurance sales, well if I had that many contacts here, why would I be insurance agent with my degree???

Seriously all business proceedings are in English, bank procedures , market transactions and major company proceedings are through English, still I don't understand why I cant get a job yet or anyone even ready to give me a opportunity. I have applied at least 2000 jobs in these past months and my inbox is filed with rejections emails from law firms, banks, financial institutions....

Pls someone advise me something here...I only have 3 months left in HK. I really dont want to go back as a LOSER

BabyWe
Posted Saturday, 12 October 2013 10:18 PM

RJ - I was searching for a solution for my unemployment problem and accidentally found your post. What luck and congratulations on your blooming career in the law! Perhaps, someone has seen you post here and realised that they must have overlooked you in their candidate list. Way to go, RJ! Wish you all the best in HK!

RJ
Posted Friday, 05 April 2013 11:50 AM

this is quite funny and embarrassing, I made this post on 03rd May 2010 and 05th May 2010 I got placed in a law firm as a paralegal and I'm completing my 3rd year next month :).I sincerely appreciate everyone's support and input, there was a point in life where I had thought, I have no hope in Hong Kong but my life taught me that you cannot succeed in life unless you are really hungry for it, nothing else should matter, every opportunity is a blessing and every achievement is a milestone. To everyone trying to peruse a career in Hong Kong, I only want to say you can do it, if you really want it that badly as the air to breathe.

Ch
Posted Wednesday, 20 March 2013 09:22 AM

I'm permanent citizen of Hong kong and having HKSAR chinese nationality, I have got my MBA degree oct 2012 from Ballarat University Australia, along with I worked and still working part time job with consultancy local firm as a customer service provider but I am not much happy doing this, so far I have applied more than 3000 companies in Hong Kong but just got response from few of them that all about sale Insurance jobs well If I had many links here why would I do this, where ever I applied they just say you cant speak Chinese , What English does nt work in office. I am interesting Aviation, Shipping, Construction or Trading Industry for my career if I can get other better option I will thing about that.....but still waiting for my best luck

Regine
Posted Tuesday, 12 February 2013 05:05 PM

Hi, RJ I was googling about finding a job in HK, and I saw your thread. I was wondering, did you finally get a job in HK or somewhere in Asia? I am actually in that situation right now. I am now looking for a job in spore, HK or even Dubai. I am currently reside in London which is really hard to find a job here. I got my bachelor and masters degree in the UK. Any suggestion for me? Thank you.

Hope
Posted Friday, 30 July 2010 02:52 PM

I fully understand your frustration as I am in the same boat as you. Although, I am qualified for the job I don’t stand a chance because of language requirements. Noone looks at my experience and knowledge. I don’t feel employers nowadays support a multicultural environment. This is sad because it drives away talented people as their skills, knowledge and experience becomes useless. Then, why waste time. My sincere advice is if one door is closed look out for an opportunity in another place or country and move ahead. Fortunately, Countries like Singapore, Malaysia, India and even China are more relaxed and focus on multicultural environment to attract talent for new ideas, therefore they are growing and businesses are booming.
Don’t give up on hope, have faith in yourself something will work out.

bartholomew
Posted Thursday, 13 May 2010 11:38 AM

RJ - you are not a loser even if you cannot land a job in Hong Kong. It may be a blessing for you - you never know.

Have you considered Singapore? The economy there is thriving with a dearth of lawyers and the government welcomes foreign talents with open arms. Singaporeans by and large are friendly and helpful. Singapore is very cosmopolitan and similar to HK except it is multi-cultural with majority Chinese, Malays, Indians, Eurasians, etc. Singapore is considered "Easy Asia" as English is commonly spoken and things work like clockwork there. Of course, the place has its drawbacks such as the hot and humid weather throughout the 12 months, its small size (usable land area same as HK) and chewing gum is not sold for a good reason. But it is an exciting place and many foreign talents have grown to love the place and make Singapore their home. There is a large thriving overseas Indian population in Singapore and the variety of food there is astounding. Cost of living in Singapore is lower than in Hong Kong and the tax rate is comparable.

Your English language skill and your LLB will be useful in Singapore - give it a thought and all the best!

passby
Posted Saturday, 08 May 2010 03:19 PM

HKU degree will not do any magic and there are lots of HKU grads who cannot even find a decent job after 2001. There are so many part time law students with SPACE and CityU who are frustrated with their current careers and want to switch to become solicitors at middle ages. A degree from Ivy League or Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial will be much better.

The London accent will be useful if you join the teaching field as English teacher, because most solicitors in HK are not required to speak native English.

This sounds cruel but this is Hong Kong after 1997.

Posted Friday, 07 May 2010 12:36 PM

Why in the first place would you believe simply by taking a HKU Master degree you can switch your career and be able to find a job in Hong Kong? When you started with false expectations then of course in the end you'll be disappointed.

You have a law degree from India but you haven't been practicing law, have you? You've been doing sales & marketing job, right? You said you speak with a native London accent - how special and unique is that? It's the Chinese speaking & writing skills which is of importance. This is Hong Kong, and the China market that we're all talking about.

Do you know how many law degree graduates we have in HK each year? Not to mention even full time students studying a Law degree in HKU who are facing and having difficulties even to find an internship? What's your niche and competitive edge?

Lets say you're a good cook from India, but all your life you haven't seen or tasted Chinese cuisines, though it's the same kind of meat - chicken, pork or lamb that we use, how can you cook the Chinese way simply by imagining? Should you come to HK looking for jobs in local Chinese restaurants, who would want to hire you?

Finally but not lastly, why can't you be an insurance agent with that Master degree? You need to keep your options open and at least try to get some local work experience.

KK
Posted Tuesday, 04 May 2010 11:30 PM

Don't lose heart, RJ. Even if you can't get a job in Hong Kong, doesn't mean you are a loser. There are many umemployed in Hong Kong now so employers have more to choose from. It is a supply and demand issue. If your immediate concern is the expiry of you working visa, then you may just have to take whatever is offered, to extend your visa while looking for what you want to do at the same time. Hope this helps.

sharing
Posted Tuesday, 04 May 2010 12:46 PM

RJ, please see another topic "How I can get a job in Hong Kong?" in the same section (i.e. Job Hunting) and you may have some hints. Hope the reply is not negative and wish your dream comes true.