How I can get a job in Hong Kong? | Job Hunting | Career Doctor | ClassifiedPost Hong Kong
Home > Career Doctor > Job Hunting > How I can get a job in Hong Kong?
How I can get a job in Hong Kong?
akrams
posted on Monday, 29 March 2010 17:12

Dear Doctor,

I have previously worked in Hong Kong for two years between 2005-2007 but due to some unavoidable reasons I had to leave the country and go back to India again.

Currently, I am now in Middle East (UAE & Saudi Arabia) since 2007 looking after the sales and marketing of IT hardware networking products but now want to re-locate back to Hong Kong. I have 5 years of sales & marketing experience in IT Hardware networking products, an MBA in marketing and overseas experience.

I have been applying for jobs in Hong Kong since 2008 but no results. Please give me some suggestions so that I can be successful in my endeavour.

Appreciate your positive response.

Categories
Dr.Prajeesh
Posted Friday, 05 April 2013 10:23 PM

Sir
I am a doctor from India.how can i get a job in hong kong?

Newwilson
Posted Friday, 16 April 2010 11:57 AM

Hi Akrams,

I think the main difficulty of your job searching is due to the industry. You are in Sales & Marketing industry which is dominated by chinese. I think alot of chinese feel difficult to communicate in English.

Also, the major target customer group of this industry in HK is local or china regions. So, Chinese and Mandarin becomes even more important.

However, for most the foreign staff (UK, US, India & Singapore) in my company, I think they find more easy to talk to foreigners than Chinese.

So, I think you either choose a english-speaking dominated industries or go back to India for sales & marketing. Otherwise, your problem is not easy to solve.

sharing
Posted Friday, 16 April 2010 09:56 AM

thanks, passby for the feedback. i think it depends on what position the one speaking fluent AE (or BE) holds. if it is a position in management in MNC, i really mean the senior management but not simply a post title of manager, it is absolutely alright for him/her not to know any Chinese language; on the contrary, others need to communicate with him/her in English as expected. however, if the position holder is just in supervisory/junior management/middle management role, the picture is not the same.

maybe let the result of akrams speak. of course, i wish akrams luck in job finding and to secure his dream job here one day.

passby
Posted Thursday, 15 April 2010 01:29 PM

I disagree with sharing.

If one speaks fluent American Accent English, no one will care if he knows Cantonese / Chinese or not.

sharing
Posted Saturday, 10 April 2010 09:44 AM

hi akrams, i also hope my response will not be negative. one of the colleagues in my previous firm (an MNC) was an Indian too, where we're at the same rank as manager, together with some other locals. we as local felt that it's alright for us to communicate with others in English in meetings, events, correspondence, etc as it's expected in MNC. however, in private, we "preferred" speaking Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin) even if most if not all of us were overseas educated. we're not trying to discriminate non-Chinese speakers but somehow we considered that here's HK and "felt" that China is now strong enough to enable us to speak our language here in our territory - you understand what i mean, right?! if you may wish to come to HK and/or other parts of China, it'll be facilitating when you know Chinese language, which as a sign you respect we Chinese, I reckon. hope the above helps.

Posted Wednesday, 07 April 2010 09:14 AM

I've been struggling whether or not I should reply your post, when I can't guarantee a "positive" response.

You've worked in HK before, that helps a bit. But unless your reason of coming back to HK to work is convincing enough, and that you do have knowledge and experience that locals here don't, why would employers be interested in hiring you?

Don't forget the cost of living here has gone up so much and tremendously since you've left. Also, can you speak and/or write Chinese/Mandarin? That's crucial, when everything is China focused these days.

You need to figure out what you have to sell, which kind of companies in what industry would find your experience useful and valuable, then approach them directly to see if there's a chance.

Reality
Posted Tuesday, 30 March 2010 12:22 PM

It is quite different between 4 to 5 years ago and now. The job market used to be vibrant but not anymore. In some sectors, there is an oversupply of employees as employers are still hesitant to hire. What you have experienced in your job application is a good proof. I do not think it is a good idea for you to move back to HK.