Going from Industry to Academia back to Industry? | Career Change | Career Doctor | ClassifiedPost Hong Kong
Home > Career Doctor > Career Change > Going from Industry to Academia back to Industry?
Going from Industry to Academia back to Industry?
tze
posted on Wednesday, 10 March 2010 14:50

Hi... I graduated from my MBA in the UK (University of London) at 23.  Came to Korea to work for a venture business - did this until I was 29, so that's 6 years in total.  Then by chance I was offered a lectureship position at a local university, which I took and have been doing it for the last 3 years. I am on my fourth contract.

I am a Hong Kong citizen (though I left when I was 12) and am now thinking of returning to HK to work and live.

I don't think I want to teach, however, and would like to get a job in a company.  My BA is in Bus. Admin with an emphasis in Marketing and my MBA is in International Business.

How easy/difficult is this, considering my age and my experience?

tze
Posted Tuesday, 16 March 2010 08:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Batholomew and Doc. You guys have given me a real boost of confidence. I, too, understand that things have changed in Hong Kong. My sister works there now and she tells me stuff about what life's like in HK.

Oh and Doc - Razlan had my age right, I am 33. :)

Again - thanks. Appreciated you taking the time out to reply.

Posted Tuesday, 16 March 2010 03:21 PM

One thing I can tell you for sure, and that's your age has nothing to do with your chances of finding a job here in Hong Kong, your experience and capabilities do! And some flexibility too!

If you DO want to come back and find a job here, you have to think and act positively, otherwise what you're in possession of are all but disadvantages and negativities, who would want to hire someone who doesn't even believe in themselves in the first place?
What have you got to sell? That's the first thing you got to figure out, you need to first find a job that'll find your experience and/or knowledge or even language capabilities useful and best essential, even as a stepping stone to set foot here.

You've left HK for such long time, things changed, people do! Working and living in a place is a totally different story than you're here as a visitor, it can be far beyond your imagination, you need to feel and try out yourself.

You're not selling yourself as a fresh graduate, even if you were, I'll tell you the same thing, your academic background whatever your degree is only an entry ticket, it's "YOU" the employer has interest in hiring, got it?

Old? Come on, you can be at the most early thirties! AND, it's never too old till the day you die to stop you from excelling and exploring, don't make excuses up for not trying hard enough.

Whether or not you can find a job here, who knows? But without trying you're only daydreaming and talking, you definitely won't stand a chance. Remember there's no guarantee, no assurance of course, you need to try find out the answers yourself. That's how we all learn!

bartholomew
Posted Tuesday, 16 March 2010 01:54 PM

Hi Tze,

You are at your prime. Not too young and not old at all - just at the right age for career advancement.

A point to note is that potential employers may question you as to which career path you are actually aiming for, or what is your career objective. So you need to be prepared for a credible answer. Should not be difficult as youth (and qualification) is on your side and employers themselves have gone through your stage - they will understand. Go for it!

tze
Posted Monday, 15 March 2010 05:01 PM

Thanks for the replies. Judging by your responses, then, that I am not too old? I was always under the impression that I was getting too old.. but it's good to know that I am still young enough to switch career.

Thanks again.

bartholomew
Posted Monday, 15 March 2010 12:30 PM

Age and experience are your assets. At this stage of your career, pay-wise you are still very affordable to cautiously optimistic companies who are expanding their business.

Therefore, I would not say it's easy to land a job in HK but I would say go for it - you never know.

Razlan Manjaji
Posted Friday, 12 March 2010 10:38 PM

You are 33 this year, with six years of "venture experience", and three years of lectureship. If you can quantify more on your commercial experience, emphasis on the skills you gathered from your lecturing years, and outline your international exposure (UK, Korea, HK), I would say you have a pretty good chance.

Be confident, and never let your circumstances be a discouraging factor. Play up what you have. You might be better than you think.